bookfever

Bookfever

Persephone

Persephone - Kaitlin Bevis When I won this book recently I was really happy because I love reading anything involving Greek mythology. I'm a huge fan of the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the Oracle of Delphi series by Diantha Jones, so I was really excited to read Persephone. The only retelling I've read about her and Hades's story was Everneath by Brodi Ashton but still I can't quite compare all.

I really liked this book when I started it. I liked Persephone's voice and was excited to see what's going on in her life and why a lot of people acted weird around her and if the feeling of being watched really happened or was in her head. There was a lot of weird stuff going on like, suddenly stuff started freezing and a rockstar giving her his number. That doesn't happen in real life. But when Persephone's mother tells her she's a goddess, Persephone thinks her mother has gone off the deep end. And really, who wouldn't react like that? That one of my favorite things in it. How Persephone didn't believe it for a while until she faced an actual god who wanted to hurt her. I feel like in most young adult books, heroine's believe too soon whatever is happening to them. This made is actually realistic for a change.
Anyway, before Persephone knows what's happening to her, Hades (Yes, girls, start swooning!) has swept her off to the underworld and marked her as his bride. And that's how the story truly starts taking shape.

I quite like Hades. He isn't what you expect the god of the underworld to be like. He doesn't have flames as hair or is evil, as he describes, he's really a nice guy actually and a good ruler. Of course has his flaws and darker sight but he was great. My favorite scenes almost always involved him, so that does say a lot. I loved his demeanor to Persephone. You can tell right away he cares for her and over the weeks and months I saw their relationship growing. I only wished his declaration of love was put a little differently. I can't quite explain what my problem was with it.

One of my favorite things in this whole book was how the underworld was pictured. Not a dank and dark cave or anything. Persephone and Hades lived in an amazing place where you can decorate your room anyway you like by just thinking about it. The underworld had also stores, where people actually worked because they liked doing what they did. It even had something that looked a lot to Starbucks. If that's not a nice afterlike than I don't know what is!
I actually really loved the minor characters like, Cassandra, Helen, Thanatos, Charon... And what great book doesn't have one of the characters betray the others? :)

There were some minor points that made me not love this book the whole way. Sometimes I felt like the scenes were too fast or hurried. Like, one moment there's a scene going one and the next it ends abrubtly. Also the diologue could've been a bit better.
Most of the time I had a hard time liking Persephone. She was nice and all that, but she was so naive. The only times I liked her was when she was in the beginning, when she was with Hades, and at the end when she went all goddess on Boreas. That actually kind of kicked ass. And some small part of me wished Hades would've been a little darker like you expect Hades to be. I would imagine him a little more dominant and maybe a little scary but this Hades was amazing too anyway!

So overal Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis was a very likable read. The few minor points I had deminish it's greatness a little but it doesn't change the fact that I did enjoy this book. It's really fast-paced, with a lot of action and awesome godlike powers. I am definitely looking forward to reading the second book, Daughter of the Earth and Sky. I hope I can get my hands on it soon!