bookfever

Apollyon - Jennifer L. Armentrout Emotional state:

photo tumblr_m5y7apLjOC1rqfhi2o1_250_zpsb1a1c31d.gif

photo tumblr_loxyk7Gnw51qinlpn_zpsa667ca10.gif

photo tumblr_m3agv7kBe41r6fge6_zpsb594551e.gif

I love this series. But then again is there anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout that I don't love? Doubtful! I saw a lot of awesome commentary of Apollyon, all five star reviews lined up a row. Also a lot of people told me how totally awesome it was. I was wondering how it could be more awesome than the previous book that was so full of awesome sauce, so I started this one as soon as I received it. It took me a little longer than usual to finish but now I am almost in a catatonic state because of that freaking ending. A classic JLA ending!

I must be crazy for saying this, but I kind of really liked Alex when she was connected to Seth and was all "Evil Alex". Seriously, she was so much fun. Only the bit where she was so devoted to Seth and was all going, "my Seth" freaked me out a bit. But anyways, that didn't last long at least. Still... it was entertaining to read about. When she got "unconnected" from Seth and broke down, I was glad she let her emotions out and that Aiden was there for her. It's like a normal person would react. I liked how JLA wrote it. I was almost crying with Alex.
And Alex, she's like uber Alex now with her Apollyon powers. She's a force to be reckoned with, people! That's why I like her so much. She's snarky and sarcastic but she packjs some serious power too. And Aiden. Awww. How adorable is he? I liked him very much in this book which is a huge different to what I thought of him in the first book. When he's with Alex he seems much more happy and loose. Love it!

But I gotta say, after that things slowed down quite a bit. It was all going a little too slow for my liking. And that's also the reason, I think, that it took me longer than normal to finish. It wasn't until the last, say, 80 pages that things got really exciting again for me, personally. I also had a hard time rating this book because I couldn't decide whether to give it 3 or 4 stars. I decided on 4 because of the last few events in the book that were actually pretty darn good. Shocking but good.

One of my favorite things in this book were the side-characters. I mean Alex and Aiden were awesome and cute together like always but I feel the other characters stepped up a bit more than usual. Not sure if it's just me or if that was also so for other people but that's how I felt. I just love the dynamic of those 9 people all huddled together in the cabin and then when they went on the road together; Love 'em!
And as always some kick-ass god action! We see gods we a already know like Apollo (much much much love!) and the ever charming dionysus (ain't he something...) but also some gods we hadn't encountered yet. Persephone being one of them. Sorry for the spoiler but I really liked her. We also saw some more of a certain best friend in the underworld. He and Persephone were kinda hilarious. And then there's the god who is responsible for Seth. Jesus christ, he scared me a bit. Which brings us to Seth. I am so confused as to how I should feel about him. Sure, he creeps me out a little bit with the way he's addicted to the aether power and all that crap but, gods, I missed him. He wasn't in the book a lot. Only in Alex's mind really. I really hope he's going to kick a certain god's ass for hurting Alex. If he doesn't, I might jump in the book myself to kill him. No need for Alex do do it anymore. Seriously.
So, yeah, that ending... WOWZA! The last sentence, I swear it freaks me out so much. I am so scared for what's to come. Anything could happen at this point. Anyone could die...

Overall, Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout wasn't the best book in the Covenant series but it absolutely didn't lack in the action department. Throw a few unexpected twists and turns + some heartbreaking, emotional moments and you've got a pretty great 4 star read.
I am so excited for the final book, Sentinel. It's going to be the best book so far, I just know it will be. Let the countdown begin...