bookfever

Bookfever

Anubis Speaks!: A Guide to the Afterlife by the Egyptian God of the Dead (Secrets of the Ancient Gods)

Anubis Speaks! A Guide to the Afterlife by the Egyptian God of the Dead - Vicky Alvear Shecter I think this is the first non-fiction book that I'm reviewing. It's not that I don't like non-fiction books. No, I do enjoy them. Especially if they're about Egyptian mythology. And this one was fantastic. I almost finished it in one time. I do know quite a lot about ancient Egypt, if I do say so myself. Ever since I was a kid I loved to read books about it, whether or not they were fiction or non-fiction and I also watched a lot of docus and movies about it. So yes, very much interested in it. But I've come to learn even more now about ancient egypt and the gods because of this book. So great!

This book is told to us by Anubis, the god with the jackal head. I've always liked that god and read a lot about him before but I definitely like how the author wrote him. He's so funny with his little comments every now and then. That's why I loved this book so much. It's not just a non-fiction read where facts are being told. Anubis makes it freaking hilarious and I'm sure kids as well as adult would love it. I did anyway. There were even the steps to mummification. That was one of my favorite parts.
The drawings in this book were so nicely done. They were also a big part as to why I enjoyed Anubis Speaks so much. I love drawings about ancient Egypt and these were really great. I wish I could have some of them to hang up. <3

So overall, Anubis Speaks is a fun, non-fiction story that's based on the Book of Dead and others, that takes us on a journey through the Egyptian afterlife told to us by none other than the god Anubis. There are a lot of facts we learn from this book but it's told in an amazingly fun way. I've learned a lot but also laughed a lot and that, people, is how you write a great non-fiction book. Also I'm definitely going to check out this author's other books. I think they'll be really great as well.

This book is definitely a 2013-favorite of mine because I was really impressed by how much fun I was having and didn't want to put it down one second although I had to eventually to get some sleep. I would definitely recommend it to everyone. Young and old, whether or not you like non-fiction or not. Just try it and you might be really surprised and love it as much as I did.